A hopeful silence
I think it's safe to say I've been avoiding blogging. I started posting random photos and although I may continue with that practice, mostly I've been avoiding being on computers. I've been out and about, pottering around my house, running errands, working a lot. Life in real time took over. Thankfully, I have had so much real life this summer..that it's nice to take a little break from being busy and slow down, slow down and write. Both my writing projects and blogging.
My family visited me this last few weeks, it was tremendous. We made such good memories together. It will always be a special time for all of us I think, my sisters, their kids...on the verge of becoming to old to really want to holiday with family. Just in time, capturing one last summer of innocence and fun. Where they could still be little kids and they didn't have to be too cool, they could just be themselves completely and know they are loved completely.
I have started reading an intriguing book called "The Miniaturist" by author Jessie Burton, a fellow Brit. It's really a gripping page turner that is written exquisitely. I will liken it in setting to "The Girl with the Pearl Earring", but it has a more "Jayne Eyre" style mystery to it. It has been wonderful to have some time to read, to sit and lay on the beach and read alongside my sisters. To watch the kids splash around as we relaxed and giggled at photographs and past stories from our childhoods. To communicate in person and pray together in earnest. To be reminded of our sisterly bond and our bond in Christ.
I begin a new job in the fall. It will be so wonderful to actually be present during the holiday season in my home, to enjoy friends and family, to have time to create holiday parcels and write during that most perfect wintry season, where all you want to do is be wrapped up alongside the fireplace reading and writing, allowing your imagination to delve.
Although my house is empty of giggles and laughter and little children and sweet brother-in -laws, it's a hopeful silence that fills my day. We are closer than ever so it seems.
My family visited me this last few weeks, it was tremendous. We made such good memories together. It will always be a special time for all of us I think, my sisters, their kids...on the verge of becoming to old to really want to holiday with family. Just in time, capturing one last summer of innocence and fun. Where they could still be little kids and they didn't have to be too cool, they could just be themselves completely and know they are loved completely.
I have started reading an intriguing book called "The Miniaturist" by author Jessie Burton, a fellow Brit. It's really a gripping page turner that is written exquisitely. I will liken it in setting to "The Girl with the Pearl Earring", but it has a more "Jayne Eyre" style mystery to it. It has been wonderful to have some time to read, to sit and lay on the beach and read alongside my sisters. To watch the kids splash around as we relaxed and giggled at photographs and past stories from our childhoods. To communicate in person and pray together in earnest. To be reminded of our sisterly bond and our bond in Christ.
I begin a new job in the fall. It will be so wonderful to actually be present during the holiday season in my home, to enjoy friends and family, to have time to create holiday parcels and write during that most perfect wintry season, where all you want to do is be wrapped up alongside the fireplace reading and writing, allowing your imagination to delve.
Although my house is empty of giggles and laughter and little children and sweet brother-in -laws, it's a hopeful silence that fills my day. We are closer than ever so it seems.
Happy to hear you had a great time with your family. I've been wanting to read 'The Miniaturist'! It's on my list. I have three books on the go right now and really need to finish at least one of those first. I never have enough time to read all the books I want to read!
ReplyDelete