Noah
So I went to watch the new Noah movie that came out. I hadn't realized there was so much controversy over it, being banned in countries and many faith based people skeptical of it's content and purpose. I do understand why now I've had time to think about it. For some the story of Noah is part of sacred texts that should not be interfered with and for others he is a respected prophet and should not be portrayed in any way at all. I'm glad I went to see it so I could make up my own mind about it. there were definable good moments in the movie and definable weird, odd, even boring moments. Parts that just didn't make any sense when related to the Biblical version I was raised upon. I have to preface this as a review from my perspective as a Christian. Although I know accounts of Noah are recorded in other texts and faiths cultural histories.
I'll start with the things I liked or that resonated with the Judo-Christian narrative I believe in.
I'll start with the things I liked or that resonated with the Judo-Christian narrative I believe in.
- The movie offered a creationist view of the created order (although images of the animals moving out of the ark resembled an evolutionary documentary style video), which was a little eerie.
- It showed the animals coming to the ark ( a water source drew them, which is feasible, but didn't literally show Noah calling them, he seemed surprised by the animals coming).
- It tried to show Noah as walking with God, righteous, communicating with God.
- I thought it was good to show that the eradication of human kind actually had an emotional effect on the characters, not the classic arky arky song some of us grew up with, a cartoon ark with a giraffe's head sticking out of the top.
- The special effects were impressive.
- I thought the acting was good, but that the script and character development was weak and let down the actors. I'd love to see Emma Watson in a more traditionally Jewish version of Noah's story.
- The bible says Noah entered the ark with his wife his sons and their wives. This ommision became the main focus for the story.
- Noah was never confident of his families security, which is very different to the biblical account, where Noah is told he and his family will be saved.
- The actions shown by his sons seem very unlikely considering the culture and time of the actual setting of Noah.
- The film was not portrayed in a Judo-Christian setting, it had a post apocalyptic feel, all the actors were caucasian and used modern phrasing and slang which was really awkward to watch. The consistency of the plot, character development and setting for a made up story about Noah was sort of a let down. The hemp clothing line was just odd.
- The movie was for adults not children, several scenes would be both frightening and confusing to a young mind as it shows symbolic dream sequences amongst other things. One family with two young girls left during the first 5 minutes of the screening.
- I think what I liked least about the movie was that Noah wasn't portrayed the way in which I have imagined him myself, his character, his flaws and greatness was in my imagination so very different to the imagination of the creators of this movie.
Comments
Post a Comment
Write to me! :O)