Is a dog the cure?
I've been thinking long and hard about getting a small dog, an older small dog. Perhaps one that has lost its elderly owner and needs rehousing. I have the perfect place for a dog, and the space and fenced yard, but I'm not sure if it's actually going to happen.
I go through bouts of homesickness, where I think we should just move back to Europe and then I realize a dog wouldn't fit into that change of plans, unless we got it a doggy passport and chip. It's one of those decisions that cements you to a place, on top of family and work, pets will keep you in a a place. I don't want to get a dog as a cure, I'd like to offer it a great happy home for life, but with our rental situation and lives tossed about by the winds of recession how can we be sure we will always be able to take care of a pet?
I'm reluctant to give up on my pet dog and settle for a beta fish, but I may have to settle, for a while at least as we pursue dreams and goals and a life of our own. I'd love to be taking my dog for a walk or run right now, we have the perfect climate and I'm awake?! I could give it so much attention, even with my job there is always one of us home most of the time.
We already have one pet, a praying mantis, he gets fed by my husband constantly, which I'm sure he's over already...I think they like live food. would we even be able to adequately take care of a dog? Hmm...we shall have to see...
I go through bouts of homesickness, where I think we should just move back to Europe and then I realize a dog wouldn't fit into that change of plans, unless we got it a doggy passport and chip. It's one of those decisions that cements you to a place, on top of family and work, pets will keep you in a a place. I don't want to get a dog as a cure, I'd like to offer it a great happy home for life, but with our rental situation and lives tossed about by the winds of recession how can we be sure we will always be able to take care of a pet?
I'm reluctant to give up on my pet dog and settle for a beta fish, but I may have to settle, for a while at least as we pursue dreams and goals and a life of our own. I'd love to be taking my dog for a walk or run right now, we have the perfect climate and I'm awake?! I could give it so much attention, even with my job there is always one of us home most of the time.
We already have one pet, a praying mantis, he gets fed by my husband constantly, which I'm sure he's over already...I think they like live food. would we even be able to adequately take care of a dog? Hmm...we shall have to see...
A dog would be a wonderful addition to your home! I can't wait until we can have one. It's like acquiring another member of the family and yes, is a big commitment to make; but I think it's worth it. :)
ReplyDeleteStill in doggy discussions. I always pictured you as a cat person ( probably the librarian thing), but I think you'd make a great doggy family. A pit-bull perhaps?
ReplyDelete