The Fall Begins

The other day we marked the end of summer and the beginning of fall with a night walk. I We love night walks.  The sky was dripping with rain when we started out.  Half way through the heavens were pouring.  We were soaked through, my trusty raincoat was sticking to my arms and my shoes were filled with water.  It was one of those moments when you feel glad to be in a woodland, smelling the fresh earth.  It was a marker for the cooler temps we've already started to enjoy.  By cooler I mean in the 80s not the 90s, although we'll still have some hot days to come as the overall season changes.  

This morning I sat on the front porch and read cookbooks, novels, drank tea and did some word study.  It was a nice break from the hot weather emphasized by house chores.  One of the main things we've been doing this week is collecting and receiving firewood,  we've been gifted a lot of fuel.  I'm so thankful.  We definitely have enough firewood for the coming winter.  The summer has gone so fast, but we are glad that the fall is here, even in our milder climate, its still very warm for at least 3 or 4 months and not always easy to work in.

I made chicken soup, lasagne and chocolate brownies, trying to get ahead of my meals so I don't have to spend our only day off together cooking.  There is still time to get in another kayak trip I do think!!

I like hiking in the fall, I don't mind the rain, being a Brit how can I?  I used to hate it honestly, but living here the rain is so predictable, we don't have that small island weather phenomenon.  It's either a rainy day or a dry one,  a rainy morning/afternoon or a dry one.  It's so predictable that it's less annoying, you know your clothes will dry and your shoes will dry if they get wet.  Not in a weeks time balanced precariously on the radiator, but left outside in the dry air overnight.


So the fall begins with rumors of fancy dress parties and murder mysteries. Hunkering down with novels, blankets and hot drinks.  Plaid shirts, boots and English period dramas wait in the wings as the season takes hold.
 

Comments

  1. Fall is my favorite time of year, for many of the same reasons!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Write to me! :O)

Popular Posts