Auditions
I attended a musicians audition after reading a peculiar advertisement in the newspaper. After much curiosity and that feeling of spontaneity that rarely takes over I decided to answer the ad entitled 'Music for Maladies'.
One of the local hospitals was auditioning for musicians to come and play to their patients. A kind of music therapy program (of which I've had some interest during previous lives across the globe). Until I arrived at the proposed location I wasn't sure what I was in for, as the phone call I made only confirmed the audition time (which was off by 30minutes).
After hanging around in a foyer for the better part of an hour a man sauntered by. I couldn't tell at first if he was our connection, or if we, clad with guitar were to be booted out of this fine medical building for loitering.
Our unannounced gentleman assured me this was not the case and proceeded to tell me as much about himself as he did the music therapy project he had started after a 33 year career with this establishment. After having funding cuts in 2008 they tried to keep the project alive with volunteers, who for obvious reasons needed to be vetted and instructed as they were going to play for cancer patients, psychiatric patients, family members, in waiting rooms etc...
I had wondered if I was going to be coaxed into some sort of Sherlokian Red-Headed League fiasco, but my over active imagination had got it quite incorrect. This was real, although I was the only person to arrive so early for the 3 hour long audition period. They eventually ushered me into a large art deco room with high ceilings, nice acoustics and graduation hall type seating and staging.
My husband sat on the front row (my roadie) twitching from the extra caffeine he'd guzzled during the long wait. I ran to the bathroom for the 4th time. I get nervous prior to a musical performance, but once I've started I feel extremely comfortable, at ease, more so than having to conduct small talk.
My three judges sat behind a table: One large lady with chocolate colored hair and a sour expression talked rudely on her telephone. Our original guide and greeter was kind faced with white bristle on head and chin, his free manner of conversation put me right at ease. Finally a tall slim lady with medium length straw colored hair had an air of professionalism, but her inner excitement seemed to slip out from time to time as she occasionally grinned and starred at me.
As in many of these situations where I feel faced by leaders who seem a little disorganized, I took charge, got my self a seat and proceeded to start the audition, waived the introductory speech (that I'd already heard in the foyer) and got down to the brass tacs. A lady appeared at the door to sit and await new arrivals, she was kind and nervous.
Two songs was my permitted allowance. I chose one that was repetitive and folky. I introduced both my self and the song and proceeded, trying not to burst into laughter. My second song was more upbeat, a pop song on the radio, I chose it to show some diversity.
The audience seemed to enjoy it all, smiling and swaying even (all but the sour faced fat lady). We exchanged questions and I discovered a lot about the types of music that work best for patients, probably not music with lyrics, instrumental music would work best. Perhaps I could play violin or keys, I'm not sure. They felt that playing for waiting family members or people doing their physiotherapy exercises would be a better fit than ICU or the psychiatric unit as my voice stands out and isn't so much of a background elevator sound that they were probably looking for. I could see them trying to figure out where they were going to slot me in.
It was quite an interesting experience, I think the musicians amongst them really enjoyed it, the slim lady burst out with questions about England, she couldn't contain herself anymore! I smiled and wondered if my English circus act was ever going to run out of fashion. They all complemented me on my musicianship which was a good boost ( especially seeing as I didn't get a job I was going for earlier in the day). It was really quite random.
I haven't played any of my instruments for about a month or two and my husband was so surprised that I could just show up and play something without practice and seem so comfortable doing so. I hadn't really though about it, music is such a part of my soul that it comes out now and then like a fart or a burp. It just comes out of me?!
I haven't heard from my judges if they'd like me to play at their hospital sites for the suffering. I do like the idea of 'singing in the street'...touching peoples lives with music and emotion to help them heal and relieve their suffering and mental anguish. I think more than the enjoyment of playing music specifically, I like the idea of helping people who are really at their lowest point. There is something very wonderfully Jesus-esque about it all.
In-fact it sounded just like a Vic Gledhill, Paul Lapsley or Steve Kirk brain bulb...
One of the local hospitals was auditioning for musicians to come and play to their patients. A kind of music therapy program (of which I've had some interest during previous lives across the globe). Until I arrived at the proposed location I wasn't sure what I was in for, as the phone call I made only confirmed the audition time (which was off by 30minutes).
After hanging around in a foyer for the better part of an hour a man sauntered by. I couldn't tell at first if he was our connection, or if we, clad with guitar were to be booted out of this fine medical building for loitering.
Our unannounced gentleman assured me this was not the case and proceeded to tell me as much about himself as he did the music therapy project he had started after a 33 year career with this establishment. After having funding cuts in 2008 they tried to keep the project alive with volunteers, who for obvious reasons needed to be vetted and instructed as they were going to play for cancer patients, psychiatric patients, family members, in waiting rooms etc...
I had wondered if I was going to be coaxed into some sort of Sherlokian Red-Headed League fiasco, but my over active imagination had got it quite incorrect. This was real, although I was the only person to arrive so early for the 3 hour long audition period. They eventually ushered me into a large art deco room with high ceilings, nice acoustics and graduation hall type seating and staging.
My husband sat on the front row (my roadie) twitching from the extra caffeine he'd guzzled during the long wait. I ran to the bathroom for the 4th time. I get nervous prior to a musical performance, but once I've started I feel extremely comfortable, at ease, more so than having to conduct small talk.
My three judges sat behind a table: One large lady with chocolate colored hair and a sour expression talked rudely on her telephone. Our original guide and greeter was kind faced with white bristle on head and chin, his free manner of conversation put me right at ease. Finally a tall slim lady with medium length straw colored hair had an air of professionalism, but her inner excitement seemed to slip out from time to time as she occasionally grinned and starred at me.
As in many of these situations where I feel faced by leaders who seem a little disorganized, I took charge, got my self a seat and proceeded to start the audition, waived the introductory speech (that I'd already heard in the foyer) and got down to the brass tacs. A lady appeared at the door to sit and await new arrivals, she was kind and nervous.
Two songs was my permitted allowance. I chose one that was repetitive and folky. I introduced both my self and the song and proceeded, trying not to burst into laughter. My second song was more upbeat, a pop song on the radio, I chose it to show some diversity.
The audience seemed to enjoy it all, smiling and swaying even (all but the sour faced fat lady). We exchanged questions and I discovered a lot about the types of music that work best for patients, probably not music with lyrics, instrumental music would work best. Perhaps I could play violin or keys, I'm not sure. They felt that playing for waiting family members or people doing their physiotherapy exercises would be a better fit than ICU or the psychiatric unit as my voice stands out and isn't so much of a background elevator sound that they were probably looking for. I could see them trying to figure out where they were going to slot me in.
It was quite an interesting experience, I think the musicians amongst them really enjoyed it, the slim lady burst out with questions about England, she couldn't contain herself anymore! I smiled and wondered if my English circus act was ever going to run out of fashion. They all complemented me on my musicianship which was a good boost ( especially seeing as I didn't get a job I was going for earlier in the day). It was really quite random.
I haven't played any of my instruments for about a month or two and my husband was so surprised that I could just show up and play something without practice and seem so comfortable doing so. I hadn't really though about it, music is such a part of my soul that it comes out now and then like a fart or a burp. It just comes out of me?!
I haven't heard from my judges if they'd like me to play at their hospital sites for the suffering. I do like the idea of 'singing in the street'...touching peoples lives with music and emotion to help them heal and relieve their suffering and mental anguish. I think more than the enjoyment of playing music specifically, I like the idea of helping people who are really at their lowest point. There is something very wonderfully Jesus-esque about it all.
In-fact it sounded just like a Vic Gledhill, Paul Lapsley or Steve Kirk brain bulb...
Comments
Post a Comment
Write to me! :O)