Anti-Trafficking Library

I've been meaning to post my reading list,dvd and website list regarding all the anti-trafficking stuff I studied last year. Although some think it is a fashionable fad to help people and learn about this awful trade in our generation, I disagree.  We live in a false reality if we do not think this affects us and our local communities, or that we don't have a responsibility to see this global horror addressed. Like all other justice issues we can stumble across, some may tug our hearts more than others and rightly so. I took a really good course based upon the Salvation Army curriculum Hands that Heal that can be found by following the link if anyone wanted to teach a class locally to inform people about domestic and global trafficking, or you can contact me for my own personal curriculum notes.  If you wanted me to come and speak, hold a class etc I'd be more than willing to get the message out.

However, in the meantime these books might help you delve further into this justice arena:

Siddharth Kara-Inside the Buisiness of Modern Slavery

This book is a really good overview of global trafficking, written by a clever and brave man.  He went on to write a book about bonded labor, which can be found at the same link.

Linda Smith-Renting Lacy, A story of America's Prostituted Child.

This is a very difficult book to read.  I don't recommend it unless you prayerfully approach this subject.  It really focus us on the missing and exploited children of America, the throw away kids...this is truly heartbreaking and if you are an American it will believe me change your life.




Kevin Bales & Ron Soodalter-The Slave Next Door

A well researched and written book, that can be read in sections or continuously.  A sad but realistic picture of bonded labor, immigrant workers, trafficked people many from outside of the US and some from within.


There are a lot of books, stories out there on these subjects.  Two of these focus more on the USA, other resources are out there if you are interested in particular countries or work overseas.  Let me know I'll get you to the information that will be most reliable if I can.




David Bornstein - How to change the World, Social Entrepreneurs.

A slow book to get through, unless this is your thing, your call to pioneer social change and start business or movements that do change the world...if so this is for you!!!  I can think of several people who should read this...those A-types who have a huge heart :O)  Anyhow, some good information, read with a pinch of salt, some difficult global stories, but mostly about how to change the world!


There are several films and documentary's being made these days, choose wisely, once you've watched these images you may wish to retreat.  I haven't watched any movies on the subject, the music and drama doesn't fit with my personality of how my brain functions, the documentaries have been invaluable however, capturing real people in real life, both the horror and the reality of surviving.  They are not hyped up in anyway.  They are realistic:

YWAM PhotogenX-Sex & Money

Probably the most informative and uplifting documentaries made on this subject.  It addresses trafficking in the USA, it has maybe 5 minutes of more adult content, but is perhaps more easy to watch than some of the other documentaries and movies out there considering the topic.  I feel like every American adult should watch this documentary.  It also shows how tenacious these young documentary makers are, love their spirit!

PhotogenX has a lot of resources for those interested in justice issues, I love Susi Childers and totally 100% respect her and her husband and their ministry/work.  We were so privileged to meet them and spend time at their feet learning.  Voice for the Voiceless was a great resource and start to get me involved in justice.

There are several other documentaries out there, this would be my recommendation for anything you want to know about the subject in the USA. Globally there are other documentaries, let me know if you need pointers.

Websites of organizations that are openly and more guardedly helping trafficked victims that I respect and can promote personally:

Unlikely Heroes 
Ok Erica is one of those amazing women who I truly see as modern day Wilberforce.  She is based in San Francisco doing good, great work.  I love Erica!

YWAM globally
Often recklessly pioneering into new things, YWAM spearheads into justice arenas globally, a great place to start, engage, do short term outreaches.  The South Pacific branches are well more established than the European ones, that face a LOT of opposition and hardship.  Pray about getting involved.  Italy, France, Poland and all of Eastern Europe needs so much.

International Justice Mission

Awesome well organized, international law movement that is both rescuing and criminalizing this injustice, working with local authorities in each and every country they are in.  Love what they do!

Justice Acts
I have great personal interest in this group touching the earth,one of my dearest friends has done so much in the area of exploitation and with her husband created curriculum, opened our eyes to those hidden in darkness. 

Walsall Street Teams

I have a good friend who has pioneered work amongst exploited males, there isn't that much out there to help men who have encountered sexual exploitation.  It's a needed ministry of help, very needed and this group have got great keys and experience, perhaps they are going to produce some resources/books, but contact them for any advice or info on hands on practical work in your own community both with men and women.  This is a UK based group, but I see them branching out to work nationally and internationally in this arena.

I hope this information helps you and your family live safely and engage with your local and global community in this area of justice.

There are so many more out there, local to you (the best place to start) and others further afield if you have the desire to connect with a specific place or people let me know.  The last several years have armed us to teeth with international contacts, friends and ministries of help.  They always want volunteers and people to be involved in what they do.  We want to connect people together for good.

Comments

Post a Comment

Write to me! :O)

Popular Posts