Chair Arm Covers

I couldn't think of a more creative title for this post.  It sounds really boring, but I'm excited to stretch myself (sewing stretching that is).  We bought an old Navy Blue recliner we call her 'Elaine'.  She came to us in good shape with some leather patches need on her arms and a good clean.  That done we decided she needed something to make her pop in the dark corner of our living area, something to stop the leather patches from catching and curling.

I have now completed both arm covers.  It took me the best part of an afternoon to complete one, partly becasue my bobin threader decided it didn't like the cheap thread I'd bought and needed a bit of attention.  I also realised my chair arms curve inwards on the outer edge and aren't solid like the chair arms in the video, so one side of the curved part was a little big, I went back and ammended that.  As my chair reclines I decided to only cover the parts of the arm showing when it is upright.  I didn't want the fabric to get caught in the chair mechanism. 
Here are some pics of the process:








I am pleased with my first attempt and wonder what my husband will say when he sees Elaine.  I have a decent amount of fabric left over too which has made me very glad.  I bought a yard, but have only used 1/4 of a yard on one arm.  The trickiest part was overstiching the curve and I chose to pin and  iron my threefold hem to help me while I sewed it shut!
So this here is a before and after:

Comments

Post a Comment

Write to me! :O)

Popular Posts