The Table


Today I started my 'Christmas Clean Up' operation.  Hearing something about having to lay our tree out on the curb for recycling, I thought I'd better get all the ornaments off, and start packing things away.  I started with our table.  A family heirloom that has been in the family for many years, orginally owned by my husbands, aunts, mother in-law!  It has been passed down through the generations and now is still as beautiful and solid as the day it was made.  I gave it a good and thorough clean today and wondered at how many Christmas meals this table had seen.  If it could talk I'd love to have a conversation about which Christmas had been it's favourite, who makes the best desserts in the family and maybe what else the table had been used for/  I use it to sew on and with two more leafs to come and be fitted in it will be huge and wonderful for eating on and projects!

I think our tree looks possibly more beautiful undecorated, it has a very lovely shape with spaced out branches.   In England today is known as Boxing Day, traditionally when wealthy landowners gave their servants a boxed gift.  I wonder if these gifts would have been pre-worn clothes, game or poultry that had been hunted or something else?  In modern times it has become another day of rest and relaxation with family and friends.  Often in-laws will visit one another, walks will be taken and the pub visited to warm you up before you head home!

I am unusually home alone this Boxing Day, as my husband had to work.  All the dishes are cleaned up, the floor cleaned, the tree decluttered, we are ready for the New Year approaching.  I've even gotten a few thankyou cards written (for our housewarming gifts). 

This time last year I remember us both thinking please let 2010 be over already.  It was like we had lived a life time in the 4 months leading up to the end of the year.  This year I'm excited for 2012, but grateful for the full and varied year we have had in 2011.  We have been in so many different towns, cities and states from the North East of England, to the South Coast, Wales, The Midlands, London, San Francisco, Washington and now our present home.  We have watched the world in turmoil, unravelling like ribbon as we sped from place to place in my little VW and now from our convertible VW (ironically both the same colour).  We met with friends and family, made new friends and I joined my newer family over here in the US.  One of the new friends we made this year is Brazillian - I'm not sure I've met anyone, quite so positive, friendly and bursting with love.  If a person could be a hug..this guys is it.  It's hard to believe some of these new friends are new - feel like I've always known them.  Thats a good feeling.

I have that old nostalgia trying to creep in when I think of my sisters and dear old friends..but mostly it stays away as I think of all the wonderful things they are doing and being to the people nearest to them today.  I think of them as being mothers and wives and friends to those who need them the most today...today that isn't me, but it has been me so I'm grateful to share them.  I think of my mother and all the roast dinners she has cooked and how many times she must have felt hot and flustered as I was yesterday stood by the oven.  I am grateful for everyone of those meals.  I'm grateful she taught me how to serve others this way to build a home that welcomes.

We have had many answered prayers this year, seen things come to pass that we've been hoping for for several years...we have a lot to be grateful for.  Checks in the mail - jobs and better jobs to name a few.

On quiet reflective days like this I am so thankful that I am alone to process all the variety of things, places and people that have occured, I'm grateful for a quiet peaceful 'just the two of us' Christmas. I love that my husband wore his present all day yesterday, slept in it and wore it to work with him today.  He really liked it!


I've been listening to the Secret Sisters 'Tennesse Me' on loop, here it is if you feel like being reflective too:

Comments

Popular Posts