It was Midnight in Paris...
..when we went to watch the film 'Midnight in Paris'. After a very grown up day of fun with my in-laws, re-learning the Mexican menu, I still haven't figured out, but I know I like a Tostadas! Lessons on how to cook pizza properly and an education in Champagne. We needed to decompress and we thought we'd check out our $1.50 movie theatre! Yes I did write $1.50! Amazing huh, 60p a ticket?! In comparison to my brother in-laws cinema which costs $10 a ticket!!! For a couple of spend thrifts it made the experiecne a little sweeter! Needless to say I/we enjoyed the film a great deal, a little apprehensive of it being a Woody Allen film. I wasn't sure how the lead and supporting actresss Owen Wilson and Marion Coitillard were going to find their common meeting point. Not a pair I could naturally see having much chemistry. However written as it was it, worked well, very well. Much in part to a strong supporting cast. We were definately left nostalgic for Europe...perhaps not England so much as the Mediterreanean Coast! I also have very fond memories of visiting Paris, it was almost magical!
Funnily enough even the inkling of a spontaneous visit from my in-laws sent me into deep shock during my sleep (joke). I woke to greet them with a swollen eye, red and sore still from some kind of stress enduced skin flare! I am feeling very sorry for myself today, I tried to comfort myself with the thought of throwing out every last toiletry product we own and replacing them with new hyper-expensive super natural ones ( bought or made)! Then I realised we only have natural ones. Unfortuantely, although I love my felted soap bars (that I made), I have had an adverse reaction to them, so then as my body adjusts to the new allergens of the USA, products, foods and climate, we are wondering 'are we allergic to America?' Ha ha...thankfully the plumbing here is way better than the plumbing in France! Moving house and country are very stress inducing things to do - if you don't have to, don't do it. Be content where you are...
To add pain to my trauma I sliced open my finger whilst preparing dinner right before my darling husband came home from work last night, got blood on the kitchen floor and almost passed out at the sight of it! I'd make a terrible nurse!!! So litterally crawling to the front door to get some air I regained composure and waited for my dear to return home. I have very dark skin, so for him to say 'Honey you look pale' as he approached made us both laugh. I am fully on the mend, a one handed bandit today.
I talked to all my siblings at the same time in various continents this morning, they were very sympathetic. Each is dealing with their own stresses in life and it was good to talk with them, hear a familiar voice and be close for a few minutes.
I've been the recipient of much generosity these last few days, with parcels from England, gifts from Australia, a precious book from my sister 'The Liberty Book of Home Sewing' . It's a gorgeous coffee table book that has pretty illustrations and basic sewing tips. My version has the British cover which is much prettier than the one on the link...I'll try and photograph it when I get my hand back! Many of these gifts have been housewarming presents. My brother in-law brought not only timeless wines, handcrafted wine and the West Coast version of Champagne (sparkling wine), founded by a French Champagne House, he also brought me a lovely LeCruset baking dish - which he proceeded to tell me what to bake in it. I love being married into a family of food and drink experts as I am so not one!!! The many times I've reached the end of a days work and thought...oh I've not eaten yet!!! My own brother has set us up with some furniture and my mother knowing how much I love porcelain china sent me four very pretty, contemporary tea mugs. My friends and family have sent me my favourite chocolates..which will help the healing process!!!
My husbands aunts have really done most of the kitting out of our house thought, from dinner dishes to an heirloom dining table and a whole wonderfully used cast iron set we have really been set-up well. They are like angels who came to our rescue! Our bed delivery got all messed up by the company so they gave us a brand new bed for 2/3 of the price! My husband got a job 2 weeks into moving to this new city and although we have run out of TP, we have wine and chocolates in the fridge!!!
I love life, I'm glad my finger cut wasn't more serious, that I live in a small and managable home that is easy to clean and heat and near a pharmacy! I have many things to be thankful for and lots of Christmas presents too!! Lots of time with my beloved and definately not boring family members all over the world!
Funnily enough even the inkling of a spontaneous visit from my in-laws sent me into deep shock during my sleep (joke). I woke to greet them with a swollen eye, red and sore still from some kind of stress enduced skin flare! I am feeling very sorry for myself today, I tried to comfort myself with the thought of throwing out every last toiletry product we own and replacing them with new hyper-expensive super natural ones ( bought or made)! Then I realised we only have natural ones. Unfortuantely, although I love my felted soap bars (that I made), I have had an adverse reaction to them, so then as my body adjusts to the new allergens of the USA, products, foods and climate, we are wondering 'are we allergic to America?' Ha ha...thankfully the plumbing here is way better than the plumbing in France! Moving house and country are very stress inducing things to do - if you don't have to, don't do it. Be content where you are...
To add pain to my trauma I sliced open my finger whilst preparing dinner right before my darling husband came home from work last night, got blood on the kitchen floor and almost passed out at the sight of it! I'd make a terrible nurse!!! So litterally crawling to the front door to get some air I regained composure and waited for my dear to return home. I have very dark skin, so for him to say 'Honey you look pale' as he approached made us both laugh. I am fully on the mend, a one handed bandit today.
I talked to all my siblings at the same time in various continents this morning, they were very sympathetic. Each is dealing with their own stresses in life and it was good to talk with them, hear a familiar voice and be close for a few minutes.
I've been the recipient of much generosity these last few days, with parcels from England, gifts from Australia, a precious book from my sister 'The Liberty Book of Home Sewing' . It's a gorgeous coffee table book that has pretty illustrations and basic sewing tips. My version has the British cover which is much prettier than the one on the link...
My husbands aunts have really done most of the kitting out of our house thought, from dinner dishes to an heirloom dining table and a whole wonderfully used cast iron set we have really been set-up well. They are like angels who came to our rescue! Our bed delivery got all messed up by the company so they gave us a brand new bed for 2/3 of the price! My husband got a job 2 weeks into moving to this new city and although we have run out of TP, we have wine and chocolates in the fridge!!!
I love life, I'm glad my finger cut wasn't more serious, that I live in a small and managable home that is easy to clean and heat and near a pharmacy! I have many things to be thankful for and lots of Christmas presents too!! Lots of time with my beloved and definately not boring family members all over the world!
Comments
Post a Comment
Write to me! :O)