A day of firsts...
I have been a little uneasy about going outside without my husband. I don't mean out and about, I mean outside of the house. Today I mustered up the courage for a few firsts that now seem so easy in retrospect. Bear with me, it's almost painful to read this.
So we've been here say 3 weeks, the previous 2 months there was no where to walk, and so I was as during my DTS chaperoned everywhere (inside a vehicle mostly). During my 3 weeks I have ventured as far as the porch, the little grassy shared lawn area we are not 'supposed' to clutter, although I dry my towels out there like everyone else! Believe it or not I haven't gone anywhere else without my husband around, this includes the on site laundry, the recreation room and pool. I had no idea I had been barricading myself in, it is deliciously cosy and warm here, but out side there is a snow covered mountain to gawp at, a TV room, a hot tub..people, shops....all I could see was a road and a car park.
Now you can laugh, really I had a sort of subconscious paranoia I was going to get run over? In the car park or trying to cross the road. After coming home a few times and encouraging me to leave the house during daylight hours my husband realised what a big event this was for me.
So today, my first step outside was to check the mailbox...I got a bit confused with the key system (as we had a big parcel in a separate box), but I figured it out and then made my way parcel in tow to the recreation room. I couldn't open the door, worried that I looked like an intruder I went to the office to ask the weekend staff for help. Not quite as forthcoming as the weekday staff (as in glued to a computer), I was sent back to try again. This time I succeeded! I collapsed onto the huge love seat (we only have one chair at home) dropped my junk mail and parcel on the table and looked out at the pool - a funny man flexing his biceps to impress his 5 year old daughter (funny), I love guys!
I flipped around the TV channels, caught the very end scene of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' - a show my husbands aunt recommended I watch (I now know why), then Beverly Hills Chihuahua started...
I decided to go back home, realising it was only 1pm and I had another 7 hours of waiting around I decided to take a short walk in the direction of our nearest Starbucks. So back pack on, coat, gloves and sunglasses (don't forget those sunglasses - in England exchange for an umbrella), I set out!
It was the easiest walk, a little trail, some abandoned land (a few large trucks) and amazingly the only dangerous spot was the un-pedestrianised entrance to the store! I stopped in at the Pharmacy...bought some Eucalyptus oil, 2 x $79 mugs and some crepe paper to make a wreath tomorrow. I'm very inspired by Michelle Gledhill and her love of Christmas, she is a wedding designer and old friend who has a talent at making everything she touches look radiant - truly she has a gift. I did make it all the way to Starbucks...I may have found my new hang out. I inquired about jobs, but as ever I got the apply online response....sometimes I feel like saying 'Are you a robot? Mr. Robot head and robot arms! Robi Robi Robot Computer face!' I just smiled my usual sweet smile...it's just the way my face falls, honest...it's deceptive, but it keeps me out of trouble thankfully.
I didn't buy anything a $3.45 a drink I didn't have the heart...maybe it'll be added to my Advent list or something?!
I frog marched myself back home avoiding getting run over. I found a trail that leads to the 'golden arches' and a $store. I didn't go that way today...instead I walked briskly passed the abandoned trucks and crunched all the orange leaves below my feet. I did it!!!
Back home now I made myself a black coffee with vanilla and brown sugar, realised I hadn't eaten, the cupboards looking so bare I decided to make my friend Erin's delicious cheesy dip (for tortilla chips). So scrummy!!!
Tonight I plan on making Mac n Cheese for the first time...it's yummy and warm when you've been out in the cold all day so hopefully it'll be a winner! Before I do that, there is one more first: Strip down to my bikini and jump into the hot-tub. I really hope I don't get run over on the way back!!!
So we've been here say 3 weeks, the previous 2 months there was no where to walk, and so I was as during my DTS chaperoned everywhere (inside a vehicle mostly). During my 3 weeks I have ventured as far as the porch, the little grassy shared lawn area we are not 'supposed' to clutter, although I dry my towels out there like everyone else! Believe it or not I haven't gone anywhere else without my husband around, this includes the on site laundry, the recreation room and pool. I had no idea I had been barricading myself in, it is deliciously cosy and warm here, but out side there is a snow covered mountain to gawp at, a TV room, a hot tub..people, shops....all I could see was a road and a car park.
Now you can laugh, really I had a sort of subconscious paranoia I was going to get run over? In the car park or trying to cross the road. After coming home a few times and encouraging me to leave the house during daylight hours my husband realised what a big event this was for me.
So today, my first step outside was to check the mailbox...I got a bit confused with the key system (as we had a big parcel in a separate box), but I figured it out and then made my way parcel in tow to the recreation room. I couldn't open the door, worried that I looked like an intruder I went to the office to ask the weekend staff for help. Not quite as forthcoming as the weekday staff (as in glued to a computer), I was sent back to try again. This time I succeeded! I collapsed onto the huge love seat (we only have one chair at home) dropped my junk mail and parcel on the table and looked out at the pool - a funny man flexing his biceps to impress his 5 year old daughter (funny), I love guys!
I flipped around the TV channels, caught the very end scene of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' - a show my husbands aunt recommended I watch (I now know why), then Beverly Hills Chihuahua started...
I decided to go back home, realising it was only 1pm and I had another 7 hours of waiting around I decided to take a short walk in the direction of our nearest Starbucks. So back pack on, coat, gloves and sunglasses (don't forget those sunglasses - in England exchange for an umbrella), I set out!
It was the easiest walk, a little trail, some abandoned land (a few large trucks) and amazingly the only dangerous spot was the un-pedestrianised entrance to the store! I stopped in at the Pharmacy...bought some Eucalyptus oil, 2 x $79 mugs and some crepe paper to make a wreath tomorrow. I'm very inspired by Michelle Gledhill and her love of Christmas, she is a wedding designer and old friend who has a talent at making everything she touches look radiant - truly she has a gift. I did make it all the way to Starbucks...I may have found my
I didn't buy anything a $3.45 a drink I didn't have the heart...maybe it'll be added to my Advent list or something?!
I frog marched myself back home avoiding getting run over. I found a trail that leads to the 'golden arches' and a $store. I didn't go that way today...instead I walked briskly passed the abandoned trucks and crunched all the orange leaves below my feet. I did it!!!
Back home now I made myself a black coffee with vanilla and brown sugar, realised I hadn't eaten, the cupboards looking so bare I decided to make my friend Erin's delicious cheesy dip (for tortilla chips). So scrummy!!!
Tonight I plan on making Mac n Cheese for the first time...it's yummy and warm when you've been out in the cold all day so hopefully it'll be a winner! Before I do that, there is one more first: Strip down to my bikini and jump into the hot-tub. I really hope I don't get run over on the way back!!!
Comments
Post a Comment
Write to me! :O)