Creating..

I guess amidst licking my wounds and passing time I've had time to make some things - just incase I get a reputation for being super-lazy ( which I feel) here are a few things I've been working on.  A project I'm starting today is also a Queen sized quilt with a modern twist!

banana bread
2/3 ripe bananas
11/2 tsp vanila essence
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar (I like unrefined golden brown)
1 1/4 cup of flour (I like wholewheat flour for this, or half wholeweat half white flour)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbls butter

Cook for 45mins/1 hour at 350 degrees
This got eaten before I could photograph it!!

hot mats

Knitted from a very non-fluffy feeling red wool 30stichesx30rows ( my very non-teccy knitting count). I love these for handling hot handles or resting pots and pans!

peppermint bark


So lush, this is a Christmas thing here...so I tried experimenting with some chocolate I found (the thought that I will create a treat I enjoy if I can't buy one).
Unsweetened dark/plain Belgium chocolate (from Trader J's) 
White chocolate - I'm shopping around for this still
Peppermint candy/candy canes (I used the red, white and green - very Italian flagesque)

Melt the dark chocolate and smooth onto a piece of foil 1/8 of an inch thick freeze in refrigerator or freezer.
Crush the candy in a bag with a  hammer/rolling pin - I crushed v. small, (slightly paranoid about the shards lacerating my throat)
Melt the white chocolate and stir in the crushed candy.
Layer the cooled white chocolate onto the dark chocolate and  freeze.

You can obviosuly modify this to make it look pretty, either by sprinkling more crushed candy onto the surface of the white layer or drizzling a dark chocolate.  I love this minty loveliness, but if you are not a mint fan try your favourite candy (maybe rhubarb & custard or pear drops).  If you are not a dark chocolate fan, try milk chocolate for the bottom layer.

noiseless coin and key holder
My very practical home accessory...to disguise the clutter and noise of coins and keys. 
5 knitted red squares 14x14 (you can make as large or small as you like/cube or cuboid).
I embroidered 3 squares with random nautical images and stuck on using non-iron webbing a white cut out whale on a fourth.  The last I left plain as it was to be the base square.
I sewing the edges together to creat the cube shape.  I chose to make the stiches visible with a contrasting navy thread, for a sleeker neater look stitch together and turn inside out.
you could add ribbon or fabric handles or make a set of increasing sizes as a nesting gift set!

laundry/garment bag

My husband bought me this 10c piece of fabric from a garage sale a few weeks ago.  I decided to make a laundry bag with it during his first sewing machine lesson.  He  bought me the sewing machine too...and sewed one whole side of this bag!

This was a simple sew:
  1. Cut the fabric so it folds equally in half the size you desire (I wanted a large opening and short sides).  Iron your fabric!!
  2. Fold over one inch at each top end (opening of bag) and iron.
  3. Sew the fold creating two loops.
  4. Fold the fabric so the outside pieces are touching (inside out).
  5. Sew along the bag lengths upto the loops but not over them!
  6. Turn inside out!
  7. Thread a ribbon through the loops using a safetypin(or paperclip).
  8. Tie and knot at either end to create the drawstring!
Making things can be addictive... when I get some more free-house time I plan on making another with my coupon discount yard of yummy small polka dot fabric.

Sampler 

This was a great little time killer...with a message for me!  I mixed embroidery thread and wool to create texture...



Comments

Popular Posts