Holiday Riptide
I've/We've been listening to the song Riptide by Vance Joy a lot these days. It's sort of a neat wind down song after work, driving through the darkness, through the trees and it sort of sets me on a rhythm. The serving others at Christmastime rhythm. If you have never worked in customer service before this may not make any sense to you, but the holidays are like the most hellish time of year for us. Not only are we busy, we are understaffed (usually), people are extra inconsiderate, grouchy, needy...whatever they may be...they are hellish! Other staff are tired, grouchy or sick and in general getting to and from work is an ordeal. I've already been hit in my car by a bad driver this season. Oh well!
During this night and day service of others...it's important to remember that "they" need a lot more love, patience, kindness, helpfulness. If I can't give it to them as one of God's daughters, then who will? I try really hard not to be a bad witness to the Lord as I do my job and drive around and do life amongst people who seem to be loosing their minds!
Some times my strings break and I mess up. Thankfully God's right there with his extra back up guitar. He's got my blindside, he's with us Emmanuel.
We have a lot of great things to look forward to, but sometimes it's hard to live in the here and now. To embrace each and every messy moment of life, our own and others bad words, bad motives, just messy stuff. People being inconsiderate, or deliberately being hurtful. Some times it's hard to explain your calling and motives to others who don't seem to understand it. Sometimes we mess up and we need forgiveness.
I'm feeling like this holiday season was a bit like being caught in a riptide, I'm trying desperately to swim out of the ungodly hours and lack of social time...lack of time in general. I want to spend time with friends, but we're so exhausted all we do is sleep when we're not working.
2014 is running away from me. I can't savor the last few drops of it as I want to...cherish it's mundane, secure non-eventful happy and safe year that it has been for us. It's really been a good year for us. I've watched as others have fought battles and faced huge mountains. We have been tucked securely under Gods wing this year. Safe and Sound. I feel so cocooned and I don't want to leave the comfort of this year.
I'm curious about 2015....I know it involves some travel...I'm wondering what new opportunities will present themselves, what we will be open to experiencing. There is a lot of writing brewing inside of us..maybe it will come alive next year?
During this night and day service of others...it's important to remember that "they" need a lot more love, patience, kindness, helpfulness. If I can't give it to them as one of God's daughters, then who will? I try really hard not to be a bad witness to the Lord as I do my job and drive around and do life amongst people who seem to be loosing their minds!
Some times my strings break and I mess up. Thankfully God's right there with his extra back up guitar. He's got my blindside, he's with us Emmanuel.
We have a lot of great things to look forward to, but sometimes it's hard to live in the here and now. To embrace each and every messy moment of life, our own and others bad words, bad motives, just messy stuff. People being inconsiderate, or deliberately being hurtful. Some times it's hard to explain your calling and motives to others who don't seem to understand it. Sometimes we mess up and we need forgiveness.
I'm feeling like this holiday season was a bit like being caught in a riptide, I'm trying desperately to swim out of the ungodly hours and lack of social time...lack of time in general. I want to spend time with friends, but we're so exhausted all we do is sleep when we're not working.
2014 is running away from me. I can't savor the last few drops of it as I want to...cherish it's mundane, secure non-eventful happy and safe year that it has been for us. It's really been a good year for us. I've watched as others have fought battles and faced huge mountains. We have been tucked securely under Gods wing this year. Safe and Sound. I feel so cocooned and I don't want to leave the comfort of this year.
I'm curious about 2015....I know it involves some travel...I'm wondering what new opportunities will present themselves, what we will be open to experiencing. There is a lot of writing brewing inside of us..maybe it will come alive next year?
Comments
Post a Comment
Write to me! :O)