Dad Time

I've been catching up on those all important relationships. 
Talking to my father and my mother-in-law.  They are surprisingly similar people, passionate and emotional and strong.  I'm not really that much like either of them, I'm more than anything the almost exact replica of my mother..although she is way classier!  I'm a thinker like my father-in-law and so we have problem solving conversations, it's great.

Anyhow, I talked to my father, which was really fun, I'm getting older in his eyes and he treats me more like an adult these days, a person who can handle some of the realities of life, I appreciate it.  My husband made him laugh out loud which I also appreciate, to have a son- in-law that brings you joy in your old age must be a good thing right?

Afterwards I called my mom-in-law, we talked for a couple hours, yeah I know we had so much to catch up on, it was sweet.  She's a good adviser, especially when it comes to people and relationships.  She also prays for us and that's priceless.  I'm grateful, listening to Fleetwood Mac, thinking of old friends, making veggie lasagne, realizing for real that the customer is always right even when they are clearly wrong and an annoying pain.  I'm swallowing my pride and biting my tongue.

Laughing at things only the people who brought you into the world can laugh at you with.  Moms and Dads, I'm so lucky to still have them in their old age and enjoy that relationship, their wisdom and humour, I'm so grateful for every year I still get to enjoy them.  I'm grateful for my in-laws, I'm so glad they are nice kind hearted people with no bitterness. They are content with life, all the pain and joy it brings.

I appreciate all the good men in my life, there are so many damaged, angry ones out there...so blessed by my husband ( yes I finally got those flowers I'd been hoping for), my other male relatives who try so hard to be good men and love people the right way.  My guy friends who are honest and true, my boss, he's awesome.  I have to remember they are the diamonds in our world trying to live and shine in a dark and damaged world.  Lord help them.


Comments

Popular Posts