Networking, hash-tag, typos...
OK. So this isn't about networking as much as it is about me trying to stay current. I have taken forever to design and produce some sort of business/networking card. I don't know if they are outdated, I don't have a big online presence, which I'm happy about, although it is seen as negative things these days, hence the blog.
Note to self: I use the word 'hence' way too much.
Well, I couldn't decide forever what to put on a card, both to help me along with publishing, meeting people and connecting with them socially and well scrummaging for work of one sort or another (by that I mean becoming an English nanny, a dog walker, a creator of custom sewn items, or just a sewer of shirt buttons for those who don't know how).
Yes there are people who don't know how to sew a button on to fabric. This perplexed me a great deal when I recently discovered this. To me this skill is like being able to drink a glass of water, I've always known how to sew on a button. Believe me I don't think less of anyone who cannot do this task. I just feel compelled to teach them how! Although with the recent dearth of jobs, I'd happily be paid to sew on shirt buttons.
So I've created a card, I hate clutter, but love calligraphy font. Dilemma! I chose to avoid calligraphy as I cannot read it, so my card is sparse and readable. No one can use the excuse my number was illegible. I didn't include a postal address or anything too personal. Just a link to my blog. My name which took me ages to decide how to write, I didn't include my middle initial at the final edit. Then deciding on a font was awful. I would gladly pay a typographer/graphic artist to do this for me if I was rich. I almost vista printed, but I got bored going through the laborious pre-checkout sell-a-thon.
I recently said I wasn't a perfectionist, today I have doubts. I really didn't want my card to look idiotic, but I also realize I live in California, the land of tie-dye and surfing pets. How could I possibly look like an idiot here? Anything goes apparently. Uncool doesn't go though...I'm not sure where the line between cool and uncool is drawn here, maybe it's continually moving, like my ever evolving business card. Always recreating oneself? Sounds very Hollywood to me.
I have a friend who calls me "California Girl"...so I've decided to change my profile from the now lame 'Life Without Walls' (actually my own personal joke on a Windows ad..that nobody on this planet probably got) to "California Girl"
OK. I have to tell you about a funny typo I read in the Wall Street Journal of all places! Made me feel better about my numerous mistakes:
Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos is erecting some sort of large clock. It is called the 10,000 year clock. OK. Wall Street Journal accidentally called it "the 10,000 year cock"
I wasn't sure at first if that was what this creation was named or if it was a joke on the part of the author as the CEO sounds like a real hash-tag. I do however believe that it was just a funny typo.
Note to self: I use the word 'hence' way too much.
Well, I couldn't decide forever what to put on a card, both to help me along with publishing, meeting people and connecting with them socially and well scrummaging for work of one sort or another (by that I mean becoming an English nanny, a dog walker, a creator of custom sewn items, or just a sewer of shirt buttons for those who don't know how).
Yes there are people who don't know how to sew a button on to fabric. This perplexed me a great deal when I recently discovered this. To me this skill is like being able to drink a glass of water, I've always known how to sew on a button. Believe me I don't think less of anyone who cannot do this task. I just feel compelled to teach them how! Although with the recent dearth of jobs, I'd happily be paid to sew on shirt buttons.
So I've created a card, I hate clutter, but love calligraphy font. Dilemma! I chose to avoid calligraphy as I cannot read it, so my card is sparse and readable. No one can use the excuse my number was illegible. I didn't include a postal address or anything too personal. Just a link to my blog. My name which took me ages to decide how to write, I didn't include my middle initial at the final edit. Then deciding on a font was awful. I would gladly pay a typographer/graphic artist to do this for me if I was rich. I almost vista printed, but I got bored going through the laborious pre-checkout sell-a-thon.
I recently said I wasn't a perfectionist, today I have doubts. I really didn't want my card to look idiotic, but I also realize I live in California, the land of tie-dye and surfing pets. How could I possibly look like an idiot here? Anything goes apparently. Uncool doesn't go though...I'm not sure where the line between cool and uncool is drawn here, maybe it's continually moving, like my ever evolving business card. Always recreating oneself? Sounds very Hollywood to me.
I have a friend who calls me "California Girl"...so I've decided to change my profile from the now lame 'Life Without Walls' (actually my own personal joke on a Windows ad..that nobody on this planet probably got) to "California Girl"
OK. I have to tell you about a funny typo I read in the Wall Street Journal of all places! Made me feel better about my numerous mistakes:
Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos is erecting some sort of large clock. It is called the 10,000 year clock. OK. Wall Street Journal accidentally called it "the 10,000 year cock"
I wasn't sure at first if that was what this creation was named or if it was a joke on the part of the author as the CEO sounds like a real hash-tag. I do however believe that it was just a funny typo.
Wall Street Journal... what a funny goof!! :P I like the sound of your business cards... :)
ReplyDelete