Elementary
For those of you Sherlock Holmes fans out there, this might be an already deduced conclusion.
After Netflix lured me into watching the good old Jeremy Brett version of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, they promptly removed the streaming option. I have a feeling it was in high demand whilst Sherlokians await Season 3 of the modern BBC adaptation. From what I gather it is available in the UK on BBC iPlayer. So today I was left a little bereft, my normal late evening detective mystery show was unavailable.
I did the unthinkable, I started watching random episodes from CBS's relatively new series Elementary. This features Lucy Liu as Watson and Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes. I have to watch random episodes as CBS/Hulu doesn't seem to be able to air full episodes in order (which is disgusting and makes me feel less and less inclined towards their programming). All in all as predicted, this is a horrible adaption of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. There is really no way of rescuing it in the form of an adaptation of the original writers characters. However, as an average American detective drama it's ok. We all have high expectations when you slap the name Sherlock Holmes onto something, so unfortunately the writers failed miserably to capture the essence of Sherlock Holmes in this modern adaptation. Again, call it A Medic and an Addict, then it's a plausible drama set in modern times over saturated with psychological babble, with realistic clothing, settings, characters and unfortunately dialogue, the unsophisticated use of language is very normal and the writer captures this sadly.
I won't bash it anymore, I do like the chemistry between the two main characters and they are good actors, conveying what the writer has created well...it's just that he didn't write anything spectacular. It is accessible and I can imagine a large American audience enjoying this, however if I know anything about Americans that read or like British culture, they will be appalled by this show, even more so than a Brit. With the setting being New York, it does capture the imagination of a Brit who dreams of visiting NY, in that classic American TV/movie way. In fact I can imagine it having a small cult following in the UK with Americophiles. Some Americans will undoubtedly have a problem with Watson being both a woman and a person of ethnicity. It's just a ploy by the government and feminists trying to make another statement, or is it just a slice of society? Hopefully I can keep an open mind and take it as new piece of art that has been created and not compare it...we'll see if it hooks me at Episode 5.
After Netflix lured me into watching the good old Jeremy Brett version of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, they promptly removed the streaming option. I have a feeling it was in high demand whilst Sherlokians await Season 3 of the modern BBC adaptation. From what I gather it is available in the UK on BBC iPlayer. So today I was left a little bereft, my normal late evening detective mystery show was unavailable.
I did the unthinkable, I started watching random episodes from CBS's relatively new series Elementary. This features Lucy Liu as Watson and Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes. I have to watch random episodes as CBS/Hulu doesn't seem to be able to air full episodes in order (which is disgusting and makes me feel less and less inclined towards their programming). All in all as predicted, this is a horrible adaption of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. There is really no way of rescuing it in the form of an adaptation of the original writers characters. However, as an average American detective drama it's ok. We all have high expectations when you slap the name Sherlock Holmes onto something, so unfortunately the writers failed miserably to capture the essence of Sherlock Holmes in this modern adaptation. Again, call it A Medic and an Addict, then it's a plausible drama set in modern times over saturated with psychological babble, with realistic clothing, settings, characters and unfortunately dialogue, the unsophisticated use of language is very normal and the writer captures this sadly.
I won't bash it anymore, I do like the chemistry between the two main characters and they are good actors, conveying what the writer has created well...it's just that he didn't write anything spectacular. It is accessible and I can imagine a large American audience enjoying this, however if I know anything about Americans that read or like British culture, they will be appalled by this show, even more so than a Brit. With the setting being New York, it does capture the imagination of a Brit who dreams of visiting NY, in that classic American TV/movie way. In fact I can imagine it having a small cult following in the UK with Americophiles. Some Americans will undoubtedly have a problem with Watson being both a woman and a person of ethnicity. It's just a ploy by the government and feminists trying to make another statement, or is it just a slice of society? Hopefully I can keep an open mind and take it as new piece of art that has been created and not compare it...we'll see if it hooks me at Episode 5.
Well a very clever and exciting monologue about tv my dear blogston. I agree to a tea. Prediction is for early cancellation sometime to late. CBS stop torturing educated people with your rubbish writers. Bring back Walker Texas Ranger and save your pathetic line up.
ReplyDeleteToo late
ReplyDelete