Akin to bad taste...

"His dress was rich with a richness which would in England, be looked upon as akin to bad taste." -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I am currently halfway through a re-read of one of Conan Doyle's compilations of detective stories.  In reading them I am fully held captive.  I am also wondering at how well adapted the newest 'Sherlock' series is.  The writers really have captured the essence of these stories and bottled them up in a clever modern retelling.  The text message replacing the telegram. What did we do between the decline of telegrams and the modern text message, I remember pagers, but never had one to speak of. Was there a communication dark age in between these two, an age of communication innocence?  I suppose email took off, but I didn't have email when I was 8 years old, texts or telegrams...

I loved this quote it made me laugh out loud thinking about the denim hot pants and neon nail paint I see around me, the wife beater vests and the ridiculous monster energy baseball caps, black with a neon M on the front.  The over worn tank top and short/capri combo that is fashion in the USA doesn't really constitute this quote, especially as it is directed towards the King of Bohemia.  The elderly lady I saw yesterday in a  rainbow tie-dyed dress of bright primary colors and butt length grey uncombed hair was more suited to this quote, but I must say she looked very healthy in those bright colors. She looked like she ate well and had great posture, perhaps like the King of Bohemia himself!.

Comments

  1. Love, love Sherlock Holmes' stories! It's really exciting to see the kids enjoying them now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Write to me! :O)

Popular Posts