Awaiting

The Royal Baby, heir apparent.  It's not that I'm obsessed, but I do eagerly check every morning to see if Will and Kate have had their little baby, who is already a significant part of what will one day be British History.  Watching the BBC world news the other day I laughed as they interviewed a cabbie, who said Londoners weren't talking much about the royal baby, but American tourists were flocking to Buckingham Palace.  I'm sure many would read this as an indifference by the British, but I don't think people are indifferent. I think Brits are just quiet about it.  We are generally a quiet, reserved people and from my experience of Americans they are the opposite, even the most refined or shy ones.  They have an opinion and they are vocal, often extremely vocal about it, they get visibly, physically excited by things and from a little reading I gathered they also like to be on the pulse of new things.  From a Brit you will get quiet loyalty for life, from an American you'll get cheers and whoops for the latest absurd project you are about to embark on.

Fortunately for me the Americans love the Royals, so I get decent news coverage on all things British.  It did occur to me this 4th July though that California was never one of the 13 British Colonies and was never under 'British Rule' back in the day...so really what are they celebrating independence from?  Many other states in the West have a similar predicament.  I'm sure it will all become clear as I begin studying the Provisions of the Constitution and  United States Government.
In case you are wondering why I'm quipping about Cali and the 4th July, I often get snarky comments from old men about not being under British rule anymore. So I'm intending to blast them with my 'California wasn't one of the 13 British colonies anyway, moron'.  Correct me if I'm wrong...most everyone else knows more about US history than I.  I have never studied any of it, in fact I knew very very little about America before moving here.

I get the United Celebration, but if I'm going to get snarky from them, I'm going in loaded! ;)

Reading about the Royals and baby watch sort of panics me a little, living in a  country where we have to navigate health care insurance and options for family planning, it's a little daunting.  Although there are a lot less options in the UK (which sadly means private midwives can't practice). It is the system I've grown up with and know and I have a lot less anxiety about.  I know that if we have enough money and do enough research and make all the right decisions everything could be fine!  Other than that I have to trust God.  Trust that all will go well, trust that he'll guide us in decision making, provide for all our financial needs and, in all the things I don't know like the back of my hand, He knows.

The fact that I can write about this here means I've stewed on it a long time, talked to a lot of people, had those heart -to-hearts with my mom, have been tempted to return to the UK. The bottom line is I'm learning to trust God in a new country, with a strange people and without the social and family supports I've always had around me.  Feel like I could do with that cup of tea now!


Comments

Popular Posts