NYE

So we are going late to a NYE party.  I'm nervous and excited.  Nervous because I need to bring something - traditionally the woman gets to do all this stuff and I'm not very traditional, so I'm learning how to cook!!  Excited because cooking isn't as horrible as I used to think it was and I like parties.  My enjoyment of cooking has been increased greatly by blogging about it and reading other peoples food blogs, and pictures that make cooking more inspiring.  We made homemade pizza over our mid-week weekend and it tasted so bad!  The dough was yeast less and way too thick.  We need to bring some finger food tomorrow and I'm not sure whether to go all out and make that Yule Log, make non-sweet finger food, that all the guys will enjoy or just bring something else!  HELP!!!

For me this is like being assigned a school project, a book report or scientifically labelled diagram complete with equations.  Give me the report, an essay to write, a piece of music to transpose..but ask me to cook and I start hyperventilating.  Am I exaggerating, not so much, at home I'm reasonably confident I have a kind husband who adds sweet chili sauce to all the things he thinks taste bad.  However, for the all American critics, who already think British food isn't food, I'm getting weak and wobbly knees.  What on earth could I make that they will primarily enjoy, that won't make me the joke of the whole party?

I have a lot of organic lemons in our fridge right now; all of you foodies are going oh..that's so great!  I'm going, well I used one to disinfect the kitchen counters - what do I do with the 7 I have left?  My mother in-law makes lemon bars, I'm thinking of trying out the recipe today....if it works and we don't eat them all tonight it could be what gets taken to the party!  Who takes a lemon desert to a NYE party?  Well, now the hunt for the family recipe!

.........................................................................................................

Not only did I find the lemon bar recipe, but I found my dear friend who keeps us fed, potatoe* salad recipe. I'm not sure why of all days I feel like eating this..it's a nice spring time dish, but it's SOOO good and is a great side dish!
.........................................................................................................
* I don't eat all organic all the time, but when the Dep of Health tells you to always peel potatoes before eating I decided to always eat organic potatoes...seriously somethings definatley tast better organic ( potatoes are one of those things - wine is another)!

Comments

  1. Or make a lemon drizzle cake?! This Nigella one is my fave: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/LEMON-POLENTA-CAKE-5308
    Keep us updated on what you decide! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Write to me! :O)

Popular Posts